With alerts, you can specify conditions in your data that, when met or exceeded, trigger a notification to be sent to specific recipients at a desired frequency.
Alerts are set on query-based or Look-linked tiles on dashboards and legacy dashboards. Based on the alert’s frequency, Looker checks whether each alert’s conditions have been met or exceeded; if so, Looker notifies users of this change.
In addition to creating alerts, users can view, duplicate, and follow some alerts created by other users, depending on their permissions. Alert conditions will also take into account any dashboard filters that exist when the alert is created.
Update to Looker 21.14 for an enhanced alerts experience with additional alert features, such as a new way to view alert details and an updated UI on the Manage Alerts user page or the Alerts management page (for Looker admins) and synchronization between alerts and changes made to their underlying dashboard or tile.
See the links below for documentation that is relevant to the admin role and to all Looker users.
Alerts documentation for Looker admins
Looker admins play critical roles in configuring alert permissions so that Looker users can create and follow alerts to receive alert notifications.
- Configuring alerts for Looker users discusses how to configure permissions for creating, following, and managing alerts. Admin settings - Manage Alerts discusses the Alerts page in the Alerts & Schedules section of the Admin panel, where admins can see and manage all active and inactive alerts for the Looker instance.
- Admin settings - Alert History discusses the Alert History page in the Alerts & Schedules section of the Admin panel, which lists information about all active alerts that are running, complete, or failed.
Alerts documentation for Looker users
- Viewing alerts discusses how to view alerts on a dashboard tile.
- Following alerts discusses how to follow alerts to receive notifications when alerts are triggered.
- Creating alerts discusses how to create an alert.
- Modifying alerts discusses how to edit an existing alert.
- Receiving alert notifications discusses what information is sent in an alert notification.
- Effect of dashboard edits on alerts discusses how changes made to dashboard affect any alerts associated with that dashboard.
- Viewing alerts that you own or follow discusses the Manage Alerts page in the Looker UI, which shows a list of all the alerts that a user owns or follows, or for which they are listed as a recipient, depending on their alerts permissions.