Create a Looker user
In Firebolt, create a user email and password for Looker to use to connect to your Firebolt instance.
Setting up the Looker connection
In the Admin section of Looker, select Connections, and then select New Connection.
Fill out the connection details. The majority of these settings are common to most database dialects. They are described on the Connecting Looker to your database documentation page.
- Name: Specify the name of the connection. This is how you will refer to the connection in LookML projects.
- Dialect: Specify the dialect Firebolt.
- Host: Specify the endpoint:
- Port: Specify the database port. The default is 443.
- Database: Specify the database name.
- Username: Enter the database user email.
- Password: Enter the database user password.
- Additional Params: Add any additional Firebolt JDBC parameters
- SSL: Check to use SSL connections.
- Verify SSL Cert: Check to enforce strict SSL certificate verification.
- Max Connections: Can be left at the default value initially. Read more about this setting in the Max Connections section of the Connecting Looker to your database documentation page.
- Connection Pool Timeout: Can be left at the default value initially. Read more about this setting in the Connection Pool Timeout section of the Connecting Looker to your database documentation page.
- SQL Runner Precache: To cause SQL Runner not to preload table information and to load table information only when a table is selected, uncheck this option. Read more about this setting in the SQL Runner Precache section of the Connecting Looker to your database documentation page.
- Database Time Zone: Specify the time zone used in the database. Leave this field blank if you do not want time zone conversion. See the Using time zone settings documentation page for more information.
Click Test These Settings to test the connection and make sure that it is configured correctly. If you see Can Connect, then press Add Connection. This runs the rest of the connection tests to verify that the service account was set up correctly and with the proper roles.
For more information about connection settings, see the Connecting Looker to your database documentation page.
For Looker to support some features, your database dialect must also support them.
Firebolt supports the following Looker features:
After you have completed the database configuration, connect to the database from Looker.