With Powered by Looker (PBL), Looker’s embedded analytics functionality, Looker developers can display Looks and dashboards in any HTML-formatted webpage, portal, or application. You might encounter this embedded content on a publicly accessible website or behind a login.
Depending on the permissions your Looker admin has assigned, an embedded Look or dashboard may have options that let you interact with your data in various ways. These options are:
- The time zone drop-down lets you change the time zone in which you view time-based data.
- The gear menu shows options that let you do things such as send or schedule a delivery of your data, download your data, edit the Look or dashboard, or use your Look or dashboard as a starting point to further explore your data.
- The Spaces menu lists the Spaces where you can view and save Looks, and view and create dashboards.
- On dashboards, the three-dot icon in the corner of each tile lets you interact with the data specific to that tile, so you can further explore the tile’s data, download the tile’s data, or, in some cases, view the Look that was the source of the tile.
Using Embedded Spaces to Find Looks and Dashboards
In Looker, Spaces are used like folders to store and organize your Looks and dashboards. If you see the Spaces menu ( ), you can click it to view any Spaces, along with the Looks and dashboards contained there, that you have permission to view.
When you click on the Spaces menu, you’ll see the Spaces that you have permission to view:
- The single-person icon denotes your personal Space, where you can store Looks or dashboards that only you can access.
- If your Looker admin has added you to a group of users, a two-person icon denotes your group Space. Here you can view and store Looks and dashboards that your entire group can access.
- The wireframe globe icon denotes the Shared Space. Looks and dashboards stored here are available to anyone who has access to the Shared Space.
To view any content, click the name of the Look or dashboard.
In addition to Looks and dashboards, in your Spaces you may see other Spaces called “subspaces”:
Click on a subspace to navigate to it and view any content or additional subspaces stored there.
Interacting with an Embedded Look or Dashboard
The Look or dashboard gear menu and the three-dot icon on dashboard tiles provide you several options to modify and interact with your Look or dashboard. You may see all, some, or none of these options, depending on the permissions your Looker admin has assigned. These options are:
- Explore from Here: Use the Look (using the Look’s gear menu) or a dashboard tile (using the tile’s three-dot icon) as a starting point to further explore your data. See the Exploring Data in Looker documentation page for more information.
- Edit: Change the field selections, filters, visualization options, and other attributes of a Look. For more information about editing a Look, see the Saving and Editing Looks documentation page.
- Save As: Save a copy of a Look to your personal Space or any other Space to which you have access. For more information, see the Saving and Editing Looks documentation page.
- Save to Dashboard: Save a Look as a dashboard tile, either on an existing dashboard or on a new dashboard that contains the Look as its initial tile. For more information, see the Creating User-Defined Dashboards documentation page.
- Download: In the case of a Look or a dashboard tile, download your data in one of a variety of formats. When viewing a dashboard, you are given the option to Download as PDF, which downloads the entire dashboard in PDF format, or Download as CSVs, which downloads the data in each tile as a separate CSV file. For more information, see the Downloading Data and Viewing Dashboards in Looker documentation pages.
- Send: Immediately send your data to an email address or one of several other destinations in one of several formats. For more information, see the Sending Data Now documentation page.
- Schedule: Schedule periodic deliveries of your data to an email address or one of several other destinations in one of several formats. For more information, see the Scheduling Data Deliveries documentation page.
- Merge Results: Combine data from a different Explore with your current Look to create results that includes both data sources. For more information, see the Merging Results from Different Explores documentation page.
- Clear Cache and Refresh: Refresh the data in your Look or dashboard to ensure you are viewing the most current results. For more information, see the Viewing Dashboards in Looker documentation page.
- Move to Trash: Delete the Look or dashboard from your Space. For more information, see the Organizing with Spaces documentation page.