New in Looker 6.24 is the Looker Marketplace, a central location for finding, deploying, and managing pre-built Looker content.
The Looker Marketplace is a feature that must be enabled by Looker. Please contact your Account Manager or Looker Support to update your license for this feature.
The Looker Marketplace is a central location for finding, deploying, and managing any type of Looker content, such as Looker Blocks, applications, visualizations, and plug-ins.
To access the Marketplace, click the shop icon ( ) on the Looker menu bar. Accessing the Marketplace requires that you have the
deploy permissions, and that your Looker admin has enabled the Local Project Import Labs feature.
The Marketplace home page shows popular Looker applications and Looker blocks. In the main menu on the left side of the page, you can select one of several options to see the full library of tool types. These types include:
- Applications: Looker applications are comprehensive sets of models, dashboards, and Explores. Applications are designed to let you analyze your Sales and Marketing data without building your own LookML models. Using the Looker Marketplace, you can install an application and connect to your data source, and the installation process will create a Looker-managed database with a schema designed for your data source. The installation process then loads your data, letting you see results within 24 hours.
- Models: Models are pre-built LookML models, including dashboards and Explores, for a variety of popular data sources. Some of the models include the ability to load and sync up your existing source data into a Looker-managed database, which lets you start using the pre-built models right away.
- Plug-Ins: Plug-ins are visualization types that you can install and add to Looker’s native visualization library.
Once you have installed a tool from the Marketplace, you can access it from the Applications & Tools top-level folder in the Looker left panel or in Looker’s Browse menu:
From there, you will see either the application’s home page or a list of pre-built dashboards and Explores that use the installed model and associated data.
Installing a Tool from the Marketplace
The installation process varies, depending on the tool you are installing. Applications and some models, for example, have the option to connect to your source database and create a new, Looker-managed database that is automatically configured to be compatible with the requirements of that data source. Most plug-ins, however, require some minimal configuration information to install successfully.
The procedure below shows all the possible installation options; however, depending on the tool you are installing, you may only see a subset of the steps below.
To install a tool from the Looker Marketplace:
From the Marketplace main menu, navigate to the tool you want to install, and click its tile:
Looker displays the tool’s installation page. The installation page shows a short description of the tool and any needed information about installing and using the tool:
Click Install or Install Free Trial.
Looker displays pages asking you to accept the tool’s license agreements and the Looker permissions required by the tool. If you want to accept the license agreements and permission requests, click Accept on these pages.
If you are installing an application or a model that requires a data source, Looker asks if you already have a connection to the database:
- Select Yes if you have already connected Looker to the database where your relevant data is stored.
- Select No if you would like the installation process to create a database connection for you.
After you indicate whether you already have a connection to your database, click Next.
If you are installing an application or model that requires a data source, Looker asks if you have synced your data. Each data source requires the data be organized into a schema compatible with the Looker application or model. Looker can create a Looker-managed database where your data is automatically downloaded and orgainzed into a schema compatible with the model or application, syncing your data for you:
- Select Yes if you would like Looker to download, organize, and manage source data for the tool.If you select Yes, you are taken to the Connection Settings page to configure the Looker-managed database. Follow the instructions on the New Database documentation page to connect to your database or to create a new, Looker-managed connection, and provide credentials to your data source so that Looker can connect, download, and sync up your data. Once you are finished with this configuration process, you are returned to the tool installation process.
- Select No if you would like to organize your data schema to match the tool’s requirements on your own.
After you indicate whether you have synced your data, click Next.
If you created a connection or synced your data through the Connection Settings page, the Marketplace asks if you are done creating your new connection. Click Yes.
Each tool requires some configuration information that is specific for that tool, such as a connection name or visualization label. Looker displays a screen asking you for that tool’s configuration information:
Select or enter the configuration information, and click Install. After the installation is complete, you can change this configuration information any time using the settings icon in the Marketplace Manage menu.
Looker will complete the installation.
Once a tool is installed, you can open it through the Applications & Tools folder or through the Manage option in the Marketplace main menu. You will see any Explores built for the tool in Looker’s Explore menu, and you can view the tool’s LookML through the Develop menu.
If you installed a plug-in, the new visualization will be available on the visualization type menu in an Explore.
Installing a Tool from a Git URL
You can also install models and plug-ins directly from their Git repository:
From the Marketplace main menu, choose Manage.
Click the three-dot menu, and select Install via Git URL:
Looker shows the Install via Git page:
Enter the URL and commit SHA of the repository and version of the tool or visualization you want to install.
- Click Install.
Managing Installed Tools
From the Manage option in the Marketplace main menu, you can view a list of all installed tools. From the Manage page, you can also update tools, open them, change a tool’s configuration, or uninstall tools:
- Click Update to download any updates to the tool from Looker.
- Click Open to open the tool and view its lists of dashboards and Explores.
- Click the settings icon to modify a tool’s configuration.
- Click the trash can icon to uninstall a tool.