To get started developing, follow these steps:
- Select Develop.
- Turn on development mode if you wish to make changes. If you only wish to browse the LookML you can avoid accidental changes by leaving development mode off.
- In the list of projects, select the project you want to work on.
- Select the LookML file you want to edit.
- Make any LookML changes or additions you wish.
- Use Quick Help as a guide to LookML modeling.
- Save your changes.
These steps are very simplified, just to show the basics. Continue reading for instructions about how to create these items in the first place, how to write LookML, and how to publish your edits to the rest of your organization.
If your job is to model your company’s data in Looker you’re in the right place. The following sections will bring you up to speed developing with Looker and LookML:
- Getting Started Modeling - A high-level introduction to Looker data modeling concepts.
- Writing LookML - A sequence of pages and lessons designed to teach you the basics of data models in LookML.
- LookML Reference - A reference to all of the LookML parameters, what they do, how to use them, and what to watch out for.
- Looker Blocks - A series of LookML design patterns for common types of analysis and data sources.
You can experiment and develop your LookML skills using Looker’s learning environment, learn.looker.com (request a login from email@example.com). You can also consider attending a Looker training, which you can read about here.