Looker offers the ability to copy a LookML dashboard into a folder as a user-defined dashboard. A user-defined dashboard is edited through the user interface instead of through LookML. The ability to edit the new user-defined dashboard depends on the user’s access settings for the folder that contains the dashboard.
You can bulk import LookML dashboards into folders as user-defined dashboards, or you can import a single LookML dashboard from the LookML dashboard folder or while viewing the LookML dashboard.
You can import one or more LookML dashboards into a folder as a user-defined dashboard via the Import button in the LookML Dashboards folder:
- From the Browse menu, click on All Folders, and then open the LookML Dashboards folder.
- Select one or more dashboards to import to user-defined dashboards.
- Click Import.
- In the Import window, navigate to the folder for the new user-defined dashboard(s).
- Click OK.
Individual import from folders
You can import a single dashboard to a folder from the LookML Dashboards folder:
You can then choose a folder for the new user-defined dashboard in the Import Dashboard pop-up.
Individual import from the dashboard
Update to Looker 7.20 for the ability to copy a LookML dashboard that has the
preferred_viewer parameter set to
dashboards-next to a folder as a user-defined dashboard.
You can navigate to a LookML dashboard and use the Copy from LookML into a folder option from the dashboard’s gear menu to import the LookML dashboard into a user-defined dashboard.
- Select Copy from LookML into a folder from the dashboard’s gear menu.
- Optionally, enter a new name for the dashboard.
- Select the folder where you want to save the dashboard.
If your LookML project has been localized, you will see an option to preserve the localization keys when you save the dashboard to a folder:
- Do not select the option if you want to save the dashboard just as you see it. Localization keys will not be included in the saved copy of the dashboard. This is useful if you want the dashboard to be immediately presentable and you don’t plan to save the dashboard back to LookML. If you are not a Looker developer, you should choose this option.
- Select the option if you want to preserve the localization keys so the dashboard can be converted back to a localized LookML dashboard in the future. Your localization keys will be displayed in the dashboard. This option is mostly for Looker developers who intend to edit the dashboard and then copy it back to LookML.
Select either Copy & View or Copy:
- Copy & View will copy the dashboard into the selected folder and automatically open the new dashboard.
- Copy will copy the dashboard into the selected folder and display a confirmation banner with links to the new dashboard and to the folder that contains it. Click the link to the new dashboard to view and edit it.