Looker offers the ability to copy a LookML dashboard into a Space as a user-defined dashboard. A user-defined dashboard is edited through the user interface instead of through LookML. The ability to edit the new user-defined dashboard depends on the user’s access settings for the Space. See Building Dashboards for more information.
You can import one or more LookML dashboards into a Space as a user-defined dashboard via the Import button in the LookML Dashboards Space:
- From the Browse menu, select the LookML Dashboards Space.
- Select one or more dashboards to import to user-defined dashboards.
- Click Import.
- In the Import window, navigate to the Space for the new user-defined dashboard(s).
- Click OK.
Individual Import from Spaces
You can also import the dashboard to a Space by selecting the Import option from the dashboard’s three-dot menu in the LookML Dashboards Space:
Individual Import from the Dashboard
Alternatively, you can navigate to the LookML dashboard itself and use the Copy from LookML into a Space option from the dashboard’s gear menu to import the LookML dashboard into a user-defined dashboard.
- Select Copy from LookML into a Space from the dashboard’s gear menu.
- Optionally, enter a new name for the dashboard.
- Select the Space where you want to save the dashboard.
If your LookML project has been localized, you will see an option to preserve the localization keys when saving the dashboard to a Space:
- Leave the option unchecked to save the dashboard just as you see it. Localization keys will not be included in the saved copy of the dashboard. This is useful if you want the dashboard to be immediately presentable and you don’t plan to save the dashboard back to LookML. If you are not a Looker developer, you should choose this option.
- Check the option if you would like to preserve the localization keys so the dashboard can be converted back to a localized LookML dashboard in the future. Your localization keys will be displayed in the dashboard. This option is mostly for Looker developers who intend to edit the dashboard and then copy it back to LookML.
Select either Copy & View or Copy:
- Copy & View will copy the dashboard into the selected Space and automatically open the new dashboard.
- Copy will copy the dashboard into the selected Space and display a confirmation banner with links to the new dashboard and to the space that contains it. Click the link to the new dashboard to view and edit it.