The SMTP page (SMTP stands for “Simple Mail Transfer Protocol”) lets you configure your email settings. Looker instances send emails in many situations including new user notification, password resets, administrative notifications, and when users schedule or send Looks and dashboards.
In Looker’s Admin panel, choose SMTP to see and change your SMTP settings. You can use the default mail settings to take advantage of Looker’s email service, without needing to set up anything on your end.
If you want to use your own email service, select Use custom mail settings. Looker enables access to the email service fields:
In those fields, type the appropriate values for your email service’s SMTP settings:
- Mail Server: The URL of your SMTP server.
- From: The name you want displayed as the sender of your Looker emails (see below for an example). You can enter a name string or an email address. Special characters, other than the
@symbol in an email address, are not supported.
- User Name: The user name needed to gain access to your SMTP server.
- Password: The password needed to gain access to your SMTP server.
- Port: The port to use for your SMTP server.
- TLS/SSL: If your SMTP server uses the TLS or SSL protocols for more secure email, select this option. Looker displays a drop-down menu of supported TLS and SSL versions. Select your protocol version.
Once you have entered your SMTP settings, click the Save button to save your configuration. You can also test your settings, or refresh the page to see if your configuration has any errors.
If you are using custom mail settings for SMTP, add Looker’s IP addresses to your SMTP server’s IP whitelist so that your SMTP server will allow inbound traffic from Looker.
Looker restricts how often Looker admins can save or test the SMTP settings to prevent using this feature to scan for open ports.
Testing Custom Email Settings
To test your custom email setup, use the Send Test Email button. Looker will attempt to send a test email to the user who pressed the button; it does not send a test email to everyone. Here is a test email that uses the SMTP settings shown above:
Looker restricts how often Looker admins can test the SMTP settings to prevent using this feature to scan for open ports.
SMTP Error Messages
If there are any problems with your SMTP configuration, Looker alerts all admins in three places:
- With a warning icon next to the Admin menu.
- With a warning message on the SMTP page itself.
- With a warning icon next to the SMTP listing in the Admin sidebar.
These errors are visible to all admins on your Looker instance. You can check for errors immediately by refreshing the page after saving custom mail settings.